I have a ridiculous number of gloves:
Mountain bike gloves
racquetball glove
running gloves (for cold weather)
golf glove
Plus the usual assortment of winter gloves one would have living in the Midwest.
I like to think I keep things simple when I can. But after realizing I have all these gloves around, it seems I've lost sight of that goal. At least my hands will be warm and callous free!
Things are going good. I went for a fathers day ride with some of the team and set a new personal distance record. I went about 39 miles in all, but I'm sure I went over 40 if you count a couple times I had the GPS paused, so I'm going to call it 40. It was a lot of road riding, then to Maybury for a lap with the team. They decided to head back home after one lap, but I decided to get another lap in. Of course, they had a lot further to ride to get home, I just headed due south on Beck to get back home rather than the circuitous route I took to get to Maybury. It was a good experience, I learned I can keep up with the pace of the group on the road and that my cycling endurance is improving. I was just telling Julie last night, when I first started mountain biking in 2007 after we first moved to Michigan, I remember riding Maybury for the first few times. I would drive there, ride the paved path for about .5 mile and then maybe .5 mile on the single track and I would have to stop to rest. Granted, Maybury starts off with some relatively steep climbs, but now every time I ride past that spot I think back on how much I've progressed in a short time. I'm not out there slaying it or anything, but there's clearly an improvement.
Another exciting development is Julie has been talking about mountain biking a lot lately. It seems she's really interested. It would be great if she got out there and found she loved it too! Anyway, I'm still trying to think of the best way to get her started. With her stature, it's going to be difficult to find a good bike out there that's the proper size, and I don't want to go to a bike shop and buy a new one before she has a chance to ride a couple of times to make sure she's going to like it. I guess I'll just have to keep my eyes open on the message boards for any possible fits...
Friday, June 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment